Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mommy Wars

I am new to the blogosphere, I've found a few mommy blogs that I love and want to be when I grow up, and I've been introduced to the term "mommy wars".  

Apparently, the choices you make for your children put you on one side of the battle line or another. 

I breastfeed my babies.  So, if you don't, we're enemies, right? 

You put your baby to sleep in a crib.  I don't, so we can't be friends, right?

Look at the language.  War.  Enemy.  Really?  Being a mother means you face a constant stream of decisions aimed at keeping yourself and at least one other human being alive and functioning.  Is there really time to battle other mommies?  I'd rather play with my twins.  

Don't get me wrong; I have plenty of strong opinions on how to raise my children.  And I truly feel that our culture has overruled basic biology when it comes to a multitude of parenting options.  However, I won't fight with other mothers who make other choices.  

Sharing information is one thing, battling it out over disposables or cloth is another.  I've been labeled "crunchy" by some and "mainstream" by others.  But my boys will just call me Mama, like all the other Mamas on both sides of every battle line.  

No comments:

Post a Comment